Saturday, January 16, 2016

#95 Hey Mr. Dee Jay Put a Record On...

...I wanna dance with my baby!!



I love Madonna. No Joke. So today before I scurry off with Mr. P so he can ask his BFF to be his Best Man, I'm going to talk about DJs. To put it mildly, there are over 2,000 results when I Google "Wisconsin DJs".

So. There you have it. I e-mailed about 10-12 DJs for price quotes about doing our wedding. I'll be honest. I really don't care too much about the music for our wedding. I really don't. It really doesn't make that big of a difference to me. I chatted with Mr. P and he really cares. Ugh. I care about photography, he cares about music. I'm just glad he cares about something. HAHAHA.

Anyway, we need a DJ for approximately 6 hours. Our "Day Of" timeline is still completely up in the air but we have the hall till midnight (then an hour to clean-up). So, we've thought, maybe, 5-6 for cocktail hour, then 6-12 for dancing. I love dancing. The more dancing. The better.

Doing the initial cut-off of DJs for our budget (approximately $1000) was great. We narrowed it down to 3 or 4 at this point. Then I asked for references. A few were reluctant to give me any personal references, so they just gave me their review page on their website. Some (after asking their clients first) gave me names, phone numbers, and e-mails. I decided to e-mail the clients because I'm not all about talking to strangers over the phone. I asked the following questions of the clients:
  • What services he provided for you
  • How he performed he services
  • Was he a good bang for your buck
  • Did he show up on time/stay as late as you wanted
  • Was he professional
  • Any other information you feel like sharing
  • Was there anything you would change
I got a lot of feedback from the references. It was very helpful to hear from actual clients. I'm very lucky people from Wisconsin are super nice and more than willing to share all their personal experiences with me. A complete stranger. LOL.

Anyhow, I wish I had asked all of these questions when I had originally e-mailed my potential DJs. Unfortunately, I did not, so now I'm doing follow up questions with them to make sure they get all of the questions right (well, in my mind anyway). This is where I got this AWESOME set of questions:

1. Do you offer a written contract?


2. Will you be the DJ at our wedding?


3. May we meet with you in person before we sign a contract?


4. How long will you hold our date for us?


5. Do you work exclusively for this company?


6. How long have you been a DJ and how many weddings have you done?


7. How many weddings do you do each year?


8. How many other types of events do you do per year?


9. Do you perform for more than one event in a day?


10. What makes you different from your competitors?


11. Have you played at our reception site before?


12. Do you act as the “emcee” and make all of the announcements?


13. How would you define your “style” when making announcements?


14. What do you do to motivate the crowd if nobody is dancing?


15. What if something happens to you and you can’t make it to the wedding?


16. Will we meet again before the wedding?


17. Can we visit you at a performance?


18. May we speak to your references?


19. How do you keep your music collection up-to-date?


20. How involved can we be in selecting music for our event?


21. When do we need to submit our music requests and event details?


22. Do you take requests from our guests?


23. Can we submit a “Do Not Play” list?


24. When do you arrive to set up for our wedding?


25. What will you wear to our wedding?


26. What will you wear when you set up and break down your equipment?


27. How much of a deposit is required to secure our date?


28. What is included in the cost of my event?


29. How much would you charge for overtime?


30. What do you require from us?


31. Do you require a meal?


32. Are you insured?


33. Do you take any breaks?


34. What is your policy on alcohol or smoking during the wedding?


35. What kind of equipment do you use?


36. Do you bring backup equipment with you to the wedding?


37. Do you have a wireless microphone?


38. Do you have a “light show”?


39. Do you set up a sign or banner with your equipment?


40. Do you belong to any professional associations or trade groups?


 So, did you ask all these questions? Did I miss any questions that are helpful to know?

No comments:

Post a Comment