Seriously though, you can never go wrong with a little J-Lo
I really do not like talking to strangers on the phone. It gives me major anxiety issues. I LOVE chatting to friends, loved ones, what have you. Strangers=Bad. So, calling up hotels to chat about prices, room blocks, and lions, and tigers, and bears, oh MY gave me such bad anxiety. Anyhow...
I was looking at what questions I should ask my potential hotels on my favorite search engine ever: Google.
You can see the complete list here!
Questions regarding blocking a hotel room:
- Is there a minimum number of rooms you have to block?
- What would be the cutoff date be?
- Will reservations be accepted after the cutoff date at your discounted rates as long as there is availability?
- How will they let you know who has reserved rooms? Email?
- Is there a point person who coordinates these types of events, or will I be dealing with a different person every time I call?
- Can they block your guests’ rooms next to each other?
- Do they have an online code for your guests to receive the group rate or do they have to call the hotel directly?
- Is a deposit required? If so, how much? When is the deposit due? May I make partial payments? When is the final payment due?
- Do you offer a courtesy room block?
- Is there an attrition clause? If so, ask that it be removed.
- What is the penalty if you cancel the whole room block?
- What responsibility do the bride and groom have in the contract? (should be none).
- Can you add more rooms if you fill up your block at the same discount?
- At what date will they release the rooms (when do people need to book by).
- Can guests extend their stay at the discounted rate if they want to make it a longer weekend or short vacation?
- Do you have a minimum or maximum number of rooms that can be added to the block? Can this number be adjusted later?
- Will the guests room be scattered throughout the hotel or can their rooms be close to each other?
- Do they have a room available for day after brunch or to open gifts in? If so, is there an extra cost?
- Does the hotel have a complimentary hotel shuttle that can transport guests to and from the ceremony or reception areas? Is there an extra charge if you want to reserve this shuttle exclusively for your party?
- Do they provide the bride and groom with a complimentary bridal suite?
- Will they provide welcome notes to your hotel guests?
- Will they put a sign on the marquee welcoming your guests (ex. Welcome Smith/Tolsen wedding party)
- What amenities are included in your regular rooms?
- Do you have any suites? If so, how many?
- Do you have handicapped accessible rooms? If so, how many?
- What is your check-in time? What is your check-out time (can guest opt for a late check-out)?
- Does your hotel have a restaurant?
- Is breakfast included with an overnight stay?
- Do you have a fitness center?
- Do you have a pool?
- Do you provide transportation to the local airport?
On grouptravel.org I was able to find a great source for getting rates from hotels without actually talking to the hotels. If you click here you can fill out a handy little form. Then just sit back and wait. I filled mine out on Sunday and I already have 5 bids from various hotels in the Milwaukee area.
You are then under no obligation to do anything with the bids but sit there and stare at them. Obviously you can do stuff with them, but you don't have to. There are 2 that I'm not going to consider right now as they're approximately 15 miles from my venue, but the other 3 are definitely contenders.
I also started this fun thread on boards.weddingbee.com about blocking hotel rooms. The other Bees on Weddingbee are always incredibly helpful so I couldn't think of a better place to ask my questions.
So, that's about it in regards to Hotel Blocks. Right now, I'm sitting next to Mr. P watching Jeopardy. I just cleaned my office. I hate cleaning. No really. Anyhow, Mr. P said if I clean my office, we can plan our wedding easier in there. So, I cleaned my office. He looked at it and said "it looks almost like an office now".
![]() |
| I can't even a little. Source |

No comments:
Post a Comment