On Tuesday, I was a complete and utter hot mess. I came home from work for lunch and a threw my jacket on the kitchen table (right next to our door) and knocked over a cup of red soda that was there. It spilled all over the floor and onto my garment bag that was hanging in the closet right next to it.
![]() |
| Source |
What, you may ask, was in that garment bag? Yup, you guessed it, my wedding dress. I almost cried. That was until I looked at my dress and realized nothing actually soaked through the garment bag onto my dress. *phew* So, I cleaned up my mess, moved my dress to the door in my office (next to the kitchen).
After work, I came home and I went to do the dishes. One of them happened to be a crock-pot full of grease (from pulled pork). I picked up the crock and it slipped out of one of my hands and spilled all the grease on the floor. You guessed it, right in the direction of my wedding dress. Luckily, nothing actually got on my garment bag this time, but it was bad.
So, I immediately called my seamstress and set up an appointment for a dress fitting. I told her what happened and she took pity on me and told me I could come in today. So, I have to just bring my dress up the road and get all fitted up!
Except, my seamstress called me today and had to push back the appointment because it was so foggy, she couldn't even see across the street. This didn't bug me because I used to live in the same town and know how crazy the fog is there. We went 2 weeks straight with dense fog last early summer. I have no problem waiting.
![]() |
| Screen shot of our conversation. For the record "Skittles" is the name of my car. |
I came up with a few lists of Do's and Do Not's that I have conveniently compiled for you here:
Do
- Make first fitting 6 weeks prior
- Make peace with your body by your second fitting
- Bring actual wedding shoes
- Bring Undergarments (that fit properly) that are close in color to your skin tone
- Schedule a hair and make-up trial before your second fitting.
- Familiarize yourself with your bustle
- Bring whoever is going to dress and bustle you to your second appointment
- Consider a final light steam before getting dressed
- Budget for alterations
- Have at least one, but typically up to 3 fittings
- Expect at least 1 hour per fitting
- Be prepared to tell the seamstress exactly what you want
- Bring Veil and/or any head piece you plan to wear
- Jewelry/accessories you plan to wear
- Be sure your seamstress is an expert at what he/she does! Your dress should not be someone else's learning experience
- Shower/clean/deodorant before you go to you fitting. This goes along with cigarettes/perfume/smelly food/etc
- Move around to test the fit once you are given the all clear
Do Not
- Feel guilty about meticulously examining the dress before/during/after alterations
- Move unless your seamstress tells you it's okay
Check out Offbeat Bride, WeddingBells, and BrideBox for complete lists.


No comments:
Post a Comment