Sunday, March 9, 2014

#69 [Wedding] My First DIY!

Hello everyone! I found this cute post that shows these wooden plaques that are painted with chalkboard paint, that for a set of 7, sell for $30.

WTF?!?!?!? NOT worth (or made for) $30. That is completely absurd. I KNOW I can make that for at most a third of the price! I mean, I guess it helps that I work at a craft store so I get a bit of a discount. But let's NOT take that into account. I will pretend that doesn't exist.
   <Personal Photo>
So, that's it. Super cheap, right? Cheap is my FAVORITE word! So, here's how to make these adorable little chalk board things. I was going to use wood plaques, but the craft store didn't have enough so I decided to use 3"x3" canvas instead and with my discount, they're only 20 cents more.

To make them, start by laying out your materials (all the following pictures are personal):
Make sure to give your chalkboard paint a good shimmy-shimmy-shake. Then, paint your little canvas with 1 coat. Let it dry 1 hour. Then, add a second coat and let dry another hour.
Next, flip over your canvas, add some super glue, and your magnet. Before you do this, you may want to paint the edges of your canvas. 



Finally, flip them over, write on them with chalk, and hang them on your fridge!
Well, I just thought these were so flippin adorable that it got me thinking...How can I incorporate these into my wedding? In all my infinite wisdom, I came to escort cards. I just used plain chalk board chalk. I figure, if I use a chalk marker, I could make these very cool escort cards!

A few things would change.
  1. [As stated] I would use chalk markers
  2. I would use chalkboard spray paint (faster and easier)
  3. I would look for magnets in bulk to use on the back
  4. I would need to find a way to display these

    So, what do you think?
ETA: 3/12/14

I received a wonderful suggestion from a wonderful woman (you know who you are :D) to use oil drip pans for the escort card.

Bonus: I found prices as low as $10 online. I'll have to check my local stores to see what they have and prices, as well. Luckily I have some time so I could also look for some coupons or some such. YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment